Megan Van Aelst,
Certified Birth Doula
Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator
Serving families in all
Central Ohio area hospitals
BIRTH DOULA PACKAGE
- CONSULTATION: A free meeting to decide if we are a good match.
- PRENATAL VISITS: Two prenatal visits in your home. These visits are approximately 2 1/2 hours each. Our first visit covers birth options and assistance in creating a birth preference list. The second visit covers comfort measures, breathing techniques, labor and delivery positions and a discussion of breastfeeding and postpartum.
- PROVIDER VISIT: I will accompany you to one care provider appointment (optional).
- ON-CALL: I am on-call for your birth 24/7 beginning at 38 weeks.
- PRENATAL SUPPORT: Unlimited text/email/phone support throughout pregnancy.
- LABOR SUPPORT: I provide in home labor support. I will remain with you for the entirety of labor and birth, and for 1-2 hours postpartum at the hospital. Positions for labor progress and hands-on comfort techniques will be provided.
- BREASTFEEDING: Assistance with initial breastfeeding at the hospital and during our postpartum visit.
- PHOTOGRAPHY: I will help photograph your birth using your camera.
- TIMELINE: Written timeline of your labor and birth.
- POSTPARTUM: One postpartum visit in your home.
- RESOURCES: Local resources and referrals.
- BACKUP SUPPORT: A backup doula will be provided.
I'd like to hire a doula - but what's the first step?
I get asked this question often! Usually women call me to talk on the phone first, and then we set up a consultation. I live in Westerville, Ohio. I ask prospective clients to meet at the Panera on Polaris Parkway (across from the Polaris Mall) for our consultation. This is a free meeting for women and their birth partner to see if we are a good match.
What questions should you ask at a doula consultation?
I recommend using questions from the DONA International website (here). Please also feel free to bring personal questions that may apply to your pregnancy or situation. I recommend that families interview more than one doula to ensure they find the right match for them.
I'd like to hire you - what's next?
I ask that you mail the contract to me with a $300.00 deposit when you decide you would like to hire me. I split payment for the remaining balance over the next two payments ($300 due at the first prenatal visit - $300 due at the second prenatal visit).
When do we schedule our prenatal visits?
I suggest we schedule our first prenatal visit shortly after you hire me, or by 33 weeks. The second prenatal visit should be no later than 36 weeks.
I believe in a doula for every woman who wants one. For families with a financial need I can work out a long term payment plan. On occasion I may be open to bartering for a portion of my fee.
Megan at a postpartum visit.
Megan providing support to a client and her mother at the hospital.